I will preface this by saying that I haven't watched the film yet. I'm burning the DVD as I type and will watch it later today/tonight.
That said, I thought that the effort was good Saturday night but the execution and (especially) the play-calling on offense left a LOT to be desired. I'm of the opinion right now that the game was over early on when Roy Helu ran for 4 yards on first down, 4 yards on second down and then Watson threw a pass on 3rd and 2!!?? Ganz misfired and we had to punt - it was blocked for a safety and the ball was rolling downhill for the wrong team.
Larry Asante played poorly.
Joe Ganz played poorly.
The offensive line - especially Mike Huff and Mike Smith - played poorly.
The WR weren't able to get open much, but that was expected given Va Tech's corners.
Macho Harris is VERY, VERY good and will be a star on Sundays.
Tyrod Taylor's athleticism was not on display for the most part, but then when you're running for 7 and 8 yards a pop between the tackles there's no reason to take a chance getting your QB hurt. Taylor did miss on a couple of throws that helped NU hold the Hokies to FG where they could have had TDs.
In all, the team played hard and played to the final gun. That's something that I'm not sure we saw last year, so that's encouraging.
For those who say that Suh and Bo lost the game on the late hit and then personal foul late, I disagree. I believe it was lost because Watson chose not to run the ball on that 3rd and 2 way back in the first quarter.
Thoughts?
Monday, September 29, 2008
Virginia Tech thoughts...
Labels:
Huskers,
Joe Ganz,
larry asante,
Mike Huff,
Mike Smith,
Nebraska,
Roy Helu,
Tyrod Taylor,
Virginia Tech
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment