Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Pelini's staff taking shape

UPDATING ONE THING: Shaun Prater was indeed offered a scholarship today by coaches Pelini and Osborne. Shaun is currently committed to Iowa, but said that he's interested in Nebraska and will take a visit.

For you not in Omaha, here's KETV's sportscast from last night which talks about some of the comings and goings in Lincoln since Sunday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIm9BZAlO1c&feature=user

From what I can gather from talking to people these coaches are confirmed to be on Bo's staff.

Bo Pelini
Shawn Watson OC
Ted Gilmore WR
Barney Cotton OL
Ron Brown TE
Marvin Sanders DB
Carl Pelini LB or DL
Mike Ekeler LB or DL (was an asst strength coach at LSU - not sure what his role will be)
John Papuchis LB/DL/Special Teams (was a defensive intern at LSU sounds like he will be a staff member also, probably on defense)

I'm told that Scott Frost, Randy Jordan, and Joe Rudolph are still being considered for coaching spots, but it appears to me there is only one opening at RB coach.

It's possible that Jordan could be coaching RBs again, or maybe Brown switches to RBs and Rudolph is retained. Frost most recently coached LBs at Northern Iowa.

Rumors still abound about Bradley Dale Peveto, LSU's current cornerbacks and special teams coach, possibly joining the staff as well.

RECRUITING NEWS:

Ekeler and Papuchis are already on the road recruiting for NU today.

Pelini and Osborne were in Omaha today at Central and Westside for sure, and I saw a report that they were at Millard North again as well. No new offers were extended, however they did meet with Collins Okafor and Tim Biere at Westside and Ronnell Grixby and the Prater twins (Shane and Shaun) at Central.

Ben Cotton (Barney's son) has decommitted from Louisville and committed to Nebraska. Cotton is a TE who was committed to Louisville after receiving offers from Iowa, Iowa State, Wisconsin, and Kansas as well. He's the #2 player in Iowa according to Rivals, behind fellow Husker commitment Dan Hoch. He's 6-foot-6, 217-pounds. I watched his videos and I see good hands and a very solid run blocker. He locks on and doesn't let go. I guess having a former NFL OL and college line coach as a father helps there, huh? ;-) His speed isn't listed on his Rivals profile, but I would estimate it at 4.7 to 4.8 seconds for the 40 based on the video I watched and comparative players' videos. Of course that's junior year film, so he may have improved his speed as a senior.

It appears that Trev Alberts will be working in the athletic department in some capacity, possibly taking Tim Cassidy's spot as director of football operations?

That is what I know for now.

No comments: